Lords of the Andes: Condors and Glaciers
$450 per person
2 Days 1 Night
- Visit stunning landscape locations from dramatic valleys to glacial peaks.
- See and photograph the largest flying bird in the world – the andean condor, against the majestic Apurimac valley.
- Experience the incredible Laguna Humantay in a way no single day tour could allow you; in the best light of the day and without crowds.
- Stay in the luxurious Biodomes with stunning views of the incredible snow-capped peaks of Apu Salkantay and Humantay Mountain.
- Visit the Inca ruins of Tarawasi.
- Private transport all day with a safe, professional driver.
- Professional photographer guide every step of the way to help you get the best shots possible.
- Getting up for sunrise is not essential, if you wish so we can get up later to head to the lake. We do encourage arriving for sunrise though as it is the best light in which to photograph the landscape.
- It’s not essential to take the horse up to the lake, if you are happy with walking we can do it this way.
- We recommend doing this tour after having already spent some time in Cusco to acclimatise, this is an uphill walk at altitude, it will be harder without previous acclimatisation.
- This experience should be reserved as far in advance as possible as the Biodomes tend to get booked up. Leaving it until the last minute means there is a good chance we won’t be able to make the reservation there.
- Weather conditions in the Andes are unpredictable so there is always a chance of bad luck, we wish we could control the weather but unfortunately we can not! Be aware that the months December through to March are the worst for rain, if you do book in this time frame, cloudy and wet conditions are almost inevitable.
- Private transport the whole way.
- All entrance fees.
- Food: Lunch and dinner on day 1, breakfast on day 2.
- One night at the luxury Biodomes close to Laguna Humantay.
- Professional photography guide every step of the way.
- Horse ride to the lake.
- Single occupancy dome.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your Photography gear.
- Warm clothes for the night and the morning ( gloves, beanie, winter jackets, winter socks ) Rain coat in case of bad luck. Good comfortable walking shoes.
- Headlamp for the dark.
- Sharp eyes and your smile!
- Wide angle lens for landscapes
- Telephoto for condors (they don’t tend to get too close so as much reach as possible is best)
- Filters for landscapes (ND, Grad ND, CPL)
- Private expedition from: $900 USD
- 2 or more people: $450 USD per person
- Note: Prices are for sharing domes, up to 3 per dome.
Departure/Return LocationYour hotel in Cusco
Departure TimePlease be ready for a departure at 07h00
Return TimeApproximately 15h00 (the next day)
What to wearClothes for all conditions (the weather can be unpredictable in the Andes, it’s best to be prepared!) Comfortable walking shoes.
IncludedAccommodationEntrance FeesGuideLunchMealsPhoto AssistanceTransport
Not IncludedExtrasInsuranceLocal Flights
07h00 - Pick-up from your hotel or hostel, begin our drive into the Andes.
09h00 - Quick stop at the Inca ruins of Tarawasi.
11h15 - Arrive at the trailhead and begin the 45 minute walk to the main condor lookout point, along the way we will pass sweeping vistas of the Apurimac valley.
12h00 - Arrive at the main lookout, here we will spend around 2 hours watching and photographing the condors in the valley as they fly over the incredible landscapes. We recommend to bring a good telephoto lens for this part, the lookout is left natural as opposed to other places that leave meat out to entice the condors closer to the tourists, as a result the condors don’t tend to come in as close to humans as they do at these other locations. We will eat a packed lunch of local empanadas here at the lookout.
14h15 - We will begin the walk back along the trail to our vehicle.
15h00 - We leave the condor lookout and begin the drive to Soraypampa, the village below Laguna Humantay.
17h30 - Arrive at Soraypampa, here we will check into the luxurious Biodomes that will be the accommodation for the night.
18h30 - We will eat our evening meal prepared for us by our hosts at the domes.
19h30 - Free time for the evening, relax!
4h45 - An early start, wake up, and begin the horse ride up to Laguna Humantay.
6h00 - Arrive at Laguna Humantay for sunrise, here we will spend a few hours photographing at the lake in the best light of the day, and without the huge crowds of tourists that visit every day at a later hour. This is a completely unique way to experience Laguna Humantay, see it how no other visitor will!
08h00 - Begin walk back down to domes.
09h30 - Breakfast back at the domes, you’ve earned it!
11h00 - Begin drive back to Cusco.
15h00 - Arrival in Cusco, drop-off back at hotel or hostel.
Laguna Humantay is a stunning alpine lake located in the Cusco region of Peru. This glacial lake is situated at an altitude of over 4,200 meters above sea level, and it is surrounded by towering snow-capped peaks, making it a favorite destination for photo tourists.
The lake's crystal-clear turquoise waters and rugged mountainous landscape provide the perfect backdrop for capturing breathtaking photos.
The trek to Laguna Humantay is challenging, but the reward is well worth the effort, as visitors are treated to awe-inspiring views and the opportunity to capture some truly stunning photos. Whether you're an experienced photographer or just looking to capture some amazing vacation memories, Laguna Humantay is a must-see destination for any photo tourist visiting Peru.
We will be grateful for your honest and objective feedback.
Wonderful experience ! Andean Photo Expeditions represent an outstanding value for your trip in Peru ! Don’t hesitate to reach them if you want to enjoy to the full the beauties of this country.
I highly recommend them 🙂