Rainbow Mountain & 7 Lagoons Ausangate Tour
- Enjoy the alternative rainbow mountain for yourself in a unique expedition away from the huge crowds.
- Photograph the milky way with Ausangate mountain in your composition (depending on the weather conditions).
- Enjoy the natural hot springs in the village at the foot of Ausangate.
- Photograph the beautiful 7 lagoons right beneath Ausangate.
- Improve your photography skills with photography tips and assistance from your guide every step of the way.
This Rainbow Mountain & 7 Lagoons Ausangate Tour begins by taking you to the alternative rainbow mountains, away from the busyness of the more popular Vinicunca, here you can photograph the unique landscapes without the massive crowds spoiling your shot. At this location you can enjoy 3 Rainbow Mountains instead of just 1 at the original Vinicunca site.
After the rainbow mountain we stop for lunch and then head to a beautiful village in the shadow of Mount Ausangate. At this location we spend the night at a local accommodation. Use this opportunity, if weather conditions allow, for some astro-photography as there is zero light pollution in this area, the stars are incredible!
An early start the next morning to photograph sunrise from the village, after sunrise we eat some breakfast and hop on horses to ride to the lagoons. After we reach the lagoons we explore on foot these amazing scenes before heading back down to the village for lunch.
After lunch we begin the drive back to Cusco.
- Riding the horses is optional, if you would prefer we can walk to the lagoons, the hike isn’t the easiest but it will give you the freedom to photograph along the route. When riding the horse you still have 100% freedom to photograph along the lagoons, but not on the way in and out.
- Weather conditions in the Andes are unpredictable so there is always a chance of bad luck, we wish we could control the weather but unfortunately we can not! Be aware that the rainy season months are from December through to March. During this season, the probability of rain is higher.
- This tour takes you to altitude, acclimatisation is incredibly important so we recommend
- Nights in the Andes get COLD, we stay in a very simple, rural accommodation where there is no heating, plenty of blankets are supplied on each bed but if you feel the cold may be an issue for you then we recommend you bring your own sleeping bag to use in addition to the blankets or extra layers of clothes you can wear in bed.
- A good portion of the value of this tour goes directly to the andean community of Ausangate. This helps them cope with the difficulties of living in isolation in the Andes Mountains.
FEELING MORE ADVENTUROUS?
As an alternative to heading to the main lagoons area there is another trail that leads above the lakes to an incredible viewpoint overlooking the whole scene, not just of the 7 lagoons but of 6 more on the opposite side of the mountain. This is a more strenuous uphill trail and for that reason we only recommend it for those clients confident in their fitness and hiking ability, this is a spot that the usual tourists don’t know about! If you want to get there for sunrise it will require an early start (2h30 am) to reach the viewpoint for the best light. Horses are not an option for this trail. If you request this route but we feel you may struggle to complete it we reserve the right to decline, this is for your safety and wellbeing.
- Pick-up and drop-off at hotel in Cusco.
- Private Transport the whole way.
- Entrance fees to the Rainbow Mountain.
- Food: Lunch and dinner on day 1, breakfast and lunch day 2.
- One night at a local accommodation. (Shared dorm)
- Professional photography guide every step of the way
- Landscape, Environmental Portraiture and Astro Photography (if the weather allows for it)
- Horse rides to the lagoons.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your Photography gear.
- Warm clothes for the night and the morning ( gloves, beanie, winter jackets, winter socks ) Rain coat in case of bad luck. Good comfortable walking shoes.
- Headlamp for walking in the dark, essential!
- Sharp eyes and your smile!
- Mid-range zoom to cover a variety of focal lengths
- Wide angle for landscape opportunities and astro-photography (f 2.8 or wider works best)
- Tripod for landscape shots and astro
- Filters for landscapes (ND, Grad ND and CPL recommended)
PRICES FOR RAINBOW MOUNTAIN & 7 LAGOONS AUSANGATE TOUR
Private workshop ( 1person) : starting at $850 USD
2 people: $450 USD per person
3 person or more: $390 USD per person
Send us an email for big group prices
Departure/Return LocationYour hotel in Cusco
Departure TimePlease be ready for a departure at 05h00
Return TimeApproximately 18h00 (the next day)
What to wearComfortable walking shoes and seasonal clothing
IncludedAccommodationEntrance FeesGuideLunchMealsPhoto AssistanceTransport
Not IncludedExtrasInsuranceLocal Flights
We will be grateful for your honest and objective feedback.